Adventuring Party (Level 3)
Nuriel: Deva Invoker of Bahamut
Galanthal: Elven Ranger/Cleric of Pelor
Amarth: Human Paladin/Fey-Pact Warlock
Sten: Gnome Bard
Gertrude: Goliath Battlemind
Nexis: Warforged Swordmage
- En route to Winterhaven, just as the sun is setting, the party is attacked by several kobolds who have have concealed themselves in the thick foliage along the side of the road.
- Some of the kobolds are armed with shields and short swords, and some are armed with slings.
- Other kobolds have positioned themselves among the boulders at the top of a cliff overlooking the road.
- The kobold slingers attack, using a special shot containing glue that immobilizes their targets.
- Gertrude teleports next to one of the slingers, who does his best to keep away from her during the rest of the fight.
- One of the kobolds carries an enchanted shield that can be thrown as a weapon and then returns to the hand of the wielder.
- The party hears a call in Draconic rise out of the trees, invoking the power of the Queen of Dragons.
- A kobold priest, wearing a headdress in the form of a dragon skull, steps from the foliage where the call originated.
- Like Gertrude, Nexis also teleports, and then turns invisible after closing with the kobold priest.
- When Nexis again becomes visible, the priest breaths a cloud of chilling cold vapor upon the unsuspecting warforged.
- The kobold with the enchanted shield shouts commands at the other warriors.
- One of the sword-wielding kobolds and all of the slingers move to attack.
- The kobold priest falls in battle.
- Sten shouts to Nexis, prompting him to take advantage of an opening in the enemy lines.
- As Nexis advances along the road at the base of the cliff, he hears a rumble from above.
- A large boulder, pushed from the edge of the cliff, drops into the trees and bounces towards Nexis, flattening one of the slingers in the process.
- The boulder only clips Nexis on the shoulder. He takes a few steps forward, and is hit squarely by a second boulder that has also been pushed from the edge of the cliff.
- Recovering his balance, the warforged pushes ahead, only to find that the roadway collapses beneath him.
- Nexis drops 20 feet into a pit filled with poisoned spikes and blacks out.
- Sten advances to the edge of the pit, speaking powerful words of encouragement.
- Nexis returns to himself, and crawls a few feet through the spikes to a place directly below where Sten is standing.
- The rest of the party deals with the remaining kobolds up top.
- Gertrude wants to scale the nearest cliff, but discovers it is too sheer.
- Calling for help, Nexis rises to his feet and begins pulling up stakes at the bottom of the pit.
- He asks Sten for a rope, and the gnome drops the entire coil down to him.
- Nexis takes one end and throws it back up to Sten, who says he cannot haul the warforged out of the pit.
- Nexis suggests he find the “big one.”
- Gertrude arrives and easily lifts Nexis up to ground-level, as he does his best to help with his feet braced on the side of the pit.
- Upon searching the body of the kobold priest, Nuriel finds that he was carrying a leather-bound book entitled Ritualia Draconis Chryonica: Volume One. The title can be translated from the Draconic as “Rituals of the Ice Wyrms.”
- Realizing that there could be additional traps in the road, the party searches the area. Gertrude rolls a boulder around the road until it falls through the camouflaged covering of a second pit. Galanthal, with his keen sight, is convinced there are no more traps.
- The adventurers place rough log walkways over both pits to prevent unsuspecting travelers from falling in.
- The party commences their journey to Winterhaven, arriving at the gates near midnight.
- The guards recognize Nexis, and let the party pass within the relatively safe confines of the village walls.